Massachusetts Law About Speed Limits
- MGL c.89 § 7C Slow down, move over law: Requires slower speed when approaching stopped emergency vehicle
- MGL c.90, § 17 Speed limits when not otherwise posted.
- MGL c.90, § 17A Speed limits on the Mass. Pike and certain other highways.
- MGL c.90, § 18 Establishing posted limits
- MGL c.90 § 20 Penalties
- MGL c.90C, § 1 Civil motor vehicle infraction defined
- Massachusetts Speed Laws, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
- 720 CMR 9.06(6)(a) Minimum speed: No person shall drive in such a manner as to obstruct unnecessarily the normal movement of traffic upon any highway.
- 321 CMR 3.01(1)(g) Speeding in wildlife management areas
- 700 CMR 7.08(6) Speeding on roads under the jurisdiction of the Turnpike Authority.
- 740 CMR 11.05(11) Speeding on the Tobin Bridge
- 740 CMR 21.51(6) Speeding at the airport
- Uniform Rules on Civil Motor Vehicle Infractions
- Civil Motor Vehicle Infractions Assessment Schedule, effective October 23, 2013.
Civil Motor Vehicle Infractions: Frequently Asked Questions, Mass. District Court. Covers nineteen issues concerning what may happen after you receive a traffic ticket.
How to Win Your Case in Traffic Court Without a Lawyer, Atlantic Publishing, 2009. While not specific to Massachusetts, provides helpful information on how to prepare to go to court to contest a ticket. Requires Library Card for access.
Illegal and Unreasonable Speed Limits in Massachusetts, National Motorists Association. "This page lists improper speed limits in Massachusetts, including speed limits which are illegal because they are posted in direct violation of state statute, and others which are unreasonable (and possibly illegal) because they are not justified by road and traffic conditions."
Massachusetts Driver's Manual, Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles. An online version of the booklet you get along with your Learner's Permit, this site includes all the key information needed to drive legally in Massachusetts. Chapters include: obtaining your license, keeping your license, rules of the road and more.
Massachusetts Highway Department Procedures for Speed Zoning on State and Municipal Roadways, 2012. Extensive (31 p.) document covers engineering studies and speed zoning, colleciton and analysis of data, speed limit signs, effect of speed zones and more.
Massachusetts Historic Speed Limits, John Carr.
Pay a Citation Online, Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Safe Driver Insurance Plan, Mass. Division of Insurance. "How SDIP Works, Appealing Surcharges, Hearing Locations and More."
Speed Limit Regulations, Mass. Dept. of Transportation. Handy summary of Mass. laws and regulations on speeding.
Speed-Measuring Device Performance Specifications, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Specifications for LIDAR and RADAR.