Massachusetts Law About Auto Insurance
- MGL c.90, s.34A-34R. Compulsory Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance.
- MGL c.175, s.4E, Prohibits use of credit information in issuing or renewing auto insurance.
- MGL c.175, s.113A-113U. Compulsory Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance.
- 211 CMR 74: Standards of Fault. Lists motor vehicle accident "situations in which fault is presumed to be more than 50%."
- 211 CMR 79: Private Passenger Motor Vehicle Insurance Rates. "Managed competition" insurance rate regulations cover policies with renewal dates beginning April 1, 2008.
- 211 CMR 88: SDIP Surcharge Appeals
- 211 CMR 134: Safe Driver Insurance Plan. Lists minor and major traffic accidents and offenses which subject the violator to "points" on their auto insurance.
- 211 CMR 135: Requirements Regarding Referrals to Motor Vehicle Glass Repair Shops.
Auto and Vehicle Insurance, Mass. Attorney General. Includes New Auto Insurance System, Shopping for Auto Insurance, Discounts Under the New System and more. Expresses concern over the accuracy of data provided by the Division of Insurance's InsureMass site.
Automobile Insurance, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs. Includes Buying Auto Insurance, Mandatory Coverages, Discounts, Surcharge Appeals, Insurance Cancellation Appeals, RMV appeals and more.
Automobile Insurance Policy, 2008 ed., Automobile Insurers Bureau of Massachusetts.
Consumer Frequently Asked Auto Insurance Questions (about the 2008 changes to auto insurance rates), Mass. Independent Insurance Agents. Includes how rate setting works, and what to expect.
Guide to Navigating the Auto Claims Maze: Getting the Settlement You Deserve, Consumer Federation of America. Includes "How to get your vehicle fixed at a repair shop of your choosing, not one chosen by your insurance company; how to contact insurance regulators if your insurance company doesn't resolve your claim to your satisfaction, and how to protect your personal information."
How Do I Appeal an At-Fault Accident?, Surcharge Appeal information from the Mass. DOT and Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Insurance Premium Comparison Website, Mass. Division of Insurance. Shows sample rates for certain scenarios and towns.
SDIP and Your Auto Insurance Policy, Mass. Dept. of Transportation. "The Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP) may be applied to specific policies to adjust insurance premiums based on the operator's driving record."
Ways to Save on Your Automobile Insurance, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs. Explains in simple English the choices available for coverage, including collision, comprehensive, and more.
Automobile Liability Insurance Update 2009, MCLE, 2009.
Streetwise: A Beginner's Guide to Handling Motor Vehicle Accidents, Mass. Bar Institute, 2006.